The Fall of Dating

How will Gen Z find their dating safe space?

04.18.24
The Fall of Dating (Getty Images)

Gen Z is in the dawn of the “situationship,” coined as a term just in 2017, referring to a relationship between two people that can be romantic or sexual but never formally established or labeled. Because Gen Z seemed to have a hard time committing to someone and even finding a relationship, the situationship evolved. As a result, many are resorting to giving up on dating apps or even dating entirely. 

Why is the dating scene so hard for Gen Z?

First, we’d have to consider how internet access largely increases the dating pool compared to past generations. The touchscreen phone was first released in 1992, and the first online dating forum was introduced in 1995. There was suddenly a stark difference in the lengths that Gen Z has had to go to to find their potential somebody. Suddenly, people could talk without even leaving the house. 

Generational differences are inevitable, but dating stands out. According to a Hinge report, “More than half of Gen Z Hinge users said that a fear of rejection has held them back from pursuing a romantic interest.” And COVID-19 seemed to be the icing on the cake. 

The pandemic caused a rift in Gen Z's time socializing with others. And being that it was during most of our formative years, that lack of socialization has lasting effects. Going out to find a potential partner seems a much more daunting task than it has been for previous generations. 

But despite all of this, there are still members of Gen Z that strive to find ways of dating, trying to resort to more “traditional” methods like going to spaces where they feel they’d find an ideal partner and seeking a relationship outside of the internet. This can be seen in the following TikTok trend where people joke about seeming clueless in a location where they imagine their type would be, hoping to be approached …

@narinemikey

Enough games im finding my wife

♬ som original - bbm

@sylviavanhoeven ☺️😅😂 #fyp #foryoupage #foryou #relatable ♬ original sound - Kaylee

Gen Z has shown a want to find love organically. Criticism toward dating advice online has seen a rise. Online platforms lead to people giving examples of what they think a relationship should be, setting unrealistic expectations. The internet leads to the need to present their relationship as perfect when relationships are far from. As Gen Z faces that fact, generalizations are becoming less. And people are encouraging our generation to find who suits them in the spaces they enjoy, Reaching for more genuine connections. Lessening dating app usage is a start.

@nessa.mc2 Dating in this generation where hookup culture is normalized is so draining. #relationships #chivlary #hookupculture #gentleman #fyp ♬ original sound - ilham - 𝟑𝟎𝟑 𝐀𝐦𝐳.

Siah Brawley (she/her) is a high school senior interested in media and culture.