Tackling Senior Year Social Stressors

08.31.23
Tackling Senior Year Social Stressors

ChicagoSenior year of high school has already arrived for many Chicago teens, for some of you it’s just around the corner. Feeling anxious about it? Nervous? Here are some tips to reduce those feelings and make this your best swan-song, awesome, kick-ass year yet.

I had my fair share of drama happen to me in my last year of high school. Friends started hating each other, couples broke up, and not to mention that looming threat of applying to college. Ugh. I don’t think anyone looks forward to that, and especially not all those things combined.

An ex-classmate of mine and friend to this day, Cynthia Hedemark, an incoming freshman to New York University, graciously agreed to talk about her experiences with these kinds of awkward, sometimes hurtful social situations.

When asked how she dealt with the social drama, Hedemark said in some ways she didn’t. “I think that back then I had a really difficult time grasping the situation and would avoid the issue entirely,” she explained. “But then it kinda backfired into a whole explosion later on … ”