IG Report: Individuality, Self-improvement and Fandom Will be Key Trends in 2024

12.26.23
IG Report: Individuality, Self-improvement and Fandom Will be Key Trends in 2024 (Souvik Banerjee via Unsplash)

ChicagoIndividuality, self-improvement and fandom will be some of the key trends in 2024, according to Instagram’s Trend Talk series, produced in partnership with trend forecasters WGSN.

Around one-third of respondents on the platform across the U.S., U.K., Brazil, India and South Korea said they’d like to be more creative when it comes to personal style, according to Creativebloq. Many hope to find their signature scent and a ‘core’ aesthetic.

Another interesting find — it doesn’t look like many Gen Z are showing off relationships on the ‘Gram. Nearly two-thirds of respondents are single, with many focusing on strengthening pre-existing relationships rather than finding their soulmate.

The generation is also focusing on self-improvement and development, prioritizing staying healthy, exploring a career path and traveling. On this quest to healthier and more self-fulfilling choices, the generation is bringing vegan and plant-based foods. Almost half said they’re interested in consuming vegan products or trying plant-based meat.

Finally, 2024 will also be a year of fandom, Instagram found. Around 75% of Gen Z describe themselves as belonging to fandoms associated with TV shows, anime, musicians, and video games. The majority of Gen Z respondents have sent direct messages to celebrities on Instagram, a clear sign of the generation's commitment to those who influence them. 

Here are other interesting trends for next year that Instagram found:

• Top 5 Fashion Trends, globally:

○ #1 Modest Dressing
    ○ #2 Thrifting, Vintage, Heirloom
    ○ #3 Repeating outfits to be more sustainable
    ○ #4 Wearing clothes in unexpected ways
    ○ #5 DIY
  • Next year is going to be defined as Gen Z’s growth era, with many honing in on self improvement and development for the year ahead. Gen Z’s top eras:

○ #1 Self Improvement or Development
    ○ #2 Lucky
    ○ #3 Unapologetically Myself
  • Gen Z will take action on the issues most important to them through ‘educating yourself/others,’ ‘voting,’ and ‘using social media to spread awareness.’
  • The top ways Gen Z flirt with their crush on Instagram include liking someone’s story, putting someone on their story or photo dump, or adding someone to their Close Friends list.
  • Gen Z is all about prioritizing meaningful connections with the generation planning to use social media to keep up with their friends and family

Find out more about 2024 Instagram Trend Talk here. 

Noah Johnson (he/him/his) is a Chicago-based journalist. Follow him on X: @noahwritestoo.