Mother’s Day Without Mom: 5 Tips to Survive

“Dear mama … ”

05.09.24
Mother’s Day Without Mom: 5 Tips to Survive (Getty Images)

As we approach Mother’s Day, the holiday can be a very uncomfortable one due to some of us that have lost our mothers early in our lives such as myself. To help, I have put together some tips that can help ease the pain of this difficult day.

Be Kind To Yourself – This day is very tough, be it for those who have lost their mothers. It is important to know that none of it is your fault and that everything will be okay. Time will heal all wounds and even if mom isn’t there, you still are and that is what matters. 

Do a Hobby – This may be easier said than done, but doing a hobby to take your mind off of grief is very beneficial, especially if this is a hobby that your mother has done. This way, it is easier to become closer to them and feel their warmth come through you while doing the hobby. This way, you can feel their presence and not feel alone on this day.

Don’t Feel Resentment – One of the main feelings of grief is anger, and seeing lots of people talk about their mothers can bring that resentment bubbling up. All the posts, the emails, the pictures, etc, can all affect you, but know that you can turn off the TV and close those apps. Don’t let the media make you feel bad and control your emotions, your possessions do not possess you. 

Do Self Care – Self explanatory, but please take care of yourself. Do things that can make you happy. Put on your favorite movie, talk with your friends, just do what you can to get your mind in a happy place. 

Hold on to the Memories – Don’t let your mother’s death consume you. Let her love and support from the days she was with you be a happy memory that you treasure forever. 

Know with this parting thought, that you are not alone and are stronger than you think. Keep moving forward this Mother’s Day and know that you are making her proud every day.

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzapps.