How Choir Saved My Mental Health

“When I sing, all feelings of stress, disappointment and anxiety seem to disappear, if only for an hour or two.” -Nina Tan Pernice

03.12.24
How Choir Saved My Mental Health (Getty Images)

Oakland, CAMy connection to music started when I was a kid. And 12 years later, my love for music remains strong.

Some of my earliest memories are of my dad singing "Silent Night" with me. And we would listen to Elvis Presley, copying his classic dance moves and accent. 

When I was in 7th grade, I joined the choir and began to develop my singing skills. A year later, I started dealing with health issues which worsened my mental health. But when I sang, all feelings of stress, disappointment and anxiety seemed to disappear, if only for an hour or two. Now I’m in high school, and singing is still my safe space.

Choir can be a great way to connect with people who share the same interests and struggles as you — you can bond and heal while expressing your creativity. The music itself connects people with stories told through lyricism and instruments.

I believe music to be one of the most important advancements in society, because no matter what situation I’m in, music will always be there to support me.

Nina Tan Pernice (she/her) is a high school student from Oakland, California.

Edited by shaylyn martos