Are You Losing or Winning Aura Points?

You can count how “cool” your aura is thanks to Gen Z’s latest TikTok trend.

07.24.24
Are You Losing or Winning Aura Points? (Getty Images)

Have you done something today that made you proud or confident in yourself? You may have earned a few hundred aura points. How about something you feel embarrassed for doing? You probably have lost some aura points.

A new TikTok trend has emerged that can dictate how “cool” you are based on an ‘aura points’ system. The trend derives from the idea that each action or event that happens in one’s life can determine their impression of themselves, as well as other people’s impressions of them.

“Aura points, a way to calculate your rizz. (That’s what the kids call charisma, and if you didn’t know that, you just lost 100 aura points), stated Alaina Demopoulos, a daily features writer for the Guardian.

@shadesnotes What’s your take on aura points? 🤨 #tiktoktrend #aurapoints #shadesapp #trending #fyp #aura #trends #relationships #greenscreen ♬ original sound – shades notes

An aura is defined as the type of atmosphere, a unique energy, quality or character, surrounding a given source. This can spiritually be represented by colors that can emit certain energies that make up a person, place or thing. 

Throughout the last few weeks, the term has been used across social media platforms, including TikTok, X and various news headlines. According to the Wall Street Journal, the term has gained enough traction to be used by shoe brands and political parties. 

The ‘aura points’ system is a lighthearted trend booming in the media that reflects personal perception and social validation. If interested, a quiz is available on BuzzFeed to put your aura to the test. 

Kyana Early (she/her) is a journalist from the San Francisco Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture.