Post-Grad Depression As An Arts Major

12.07.22
Post-Grad Depression As An Arts Major (Maciej Luczniewski/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Atlanta, GAImagine spending four years at an institution, participating in several different organizations, and being active on campus, only to find that when you cross the stage and are handed your degree, you are left without a job.  

A recent study stated that around 53% of recent college graduates are unemployed or underemployed, according to whattobecome.com.

“The transition after graduation is different for others; they may feel low or even unmotivated and have difficulty functioning daily,” said Christina Burrell, a business graduate from Clark Atlanta University.  

It is normal to feel lost after graduating college; you are going through a changing period, but it will be an adjusting period. 

Looking for a job post-graduation has been very difficult. You may have experience and apply for entry-level positions that require two to three years of experience, but you still need to be noticed for specific jobs. Some return to school to get their master's degree to get more experience and better their chances of finding a job within their desired field. 

As an arts major who majored in TV/Film, this is one of the issues I faced. 

When COVID happened during my sophomore year at Clark, I was lost. Not only was that my first year having transferred from the University of Oregon with little-to-no experience, but I was also sent home for a year and a half. I left as a sophomore and returned as a senior with a large gap on my resume. 

During my remaining days on campus, I tried to pack in as much as I could on my resume. From joining organizations in the mass media concentration, the school newspaper and a film group dedicated to the new generation of filmmakers, as well as being a part of several virtual mentorship programs, I thought I built up enough experience for some positions. However, soon after, I got an email that said, “We're sorry, we have decided to move on to other candidates with more relevant experience.” 

I graduated this past May with my Bachelor of Arts in Mass Media Arts with a concentration in TV/Film. Since then, I have made numerous connections in the television and film industry but have yet to receive any job offers. 

Even though this time is discouraging, one thing that has stood was Clark’s motto, “Find a Way or Make One.”