Back to School Tips to Help your Mental Health

Here are five tips to help make your transition be as smooth as possible while preserving your mental health.

08.28.24
Back to School Tips to Help your Mental Health (Getty Images)

It’s that time of year again as we know it, back to school. 

Set goals for yourself: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Set reasonable goals for yourself for both academic and career. It is never too late to start and know that you can achieve anything you can set your mind to.

Have a regular sleeping schedule: Sleep is very important and paramount to any young academic. Always try to have a good sleep schedule and rest for eight hours every night. (In a candid way, I also need to heed this advice.)

Make/find a study playlist: Studying doesn’t have to be boring! Try to make yourself a playlist of your favorite songs/ find a playlist of music that can help you focus on studying. From my experience, instrumental music works well rather than music with lyrics so there can be no distractions. A popular study playlist is the Lo-Fi Hip Hop radio.

Do not compare yourself to others: Comparison is the thief of joy. Remember that we are all going through different paths through life and your path will take you to where you need to be. Trust the process and focus on your own lane.

Find a hobby to destress: While school is important, it is also imperative to have a fun, destressing hobby for you to have. This way, you can have fun while also working on your schoolwork. It also helps to disconnect from school and find something to rest your mind.

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzine.