Selena Gomez on Managing Mental Health

06.18.21
Selena Gomez on Managing Mental Health (Photo: Emma McIntyre/Getty Images for Global Citizen VAX LIVE)

DeKalb, ILSelena Gomez recently opened up about her mental health journey and how she manages it every day to stay at peace. 

Last year, she revealed in an Instagram Live with Miley Cyrus that she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder following years of dealing with intense anxiety and depression. Now, she’s in a good place. 

"I saw from personal experience how these impossible beauty standards were having such an effect on my mental health and I know a lot of people who felt the same way," Gomez said in an interview with The Daily Telegraph‘s Stellar magazine. "There’s a strong connection between how we talk about beauty and mental health. And I think we should discuss both."

The 28-year-old created her beauty company, Rare Beauty, as a response to "unrealistic standards of beauty" that are prolonged by the beauty industry.

To maintain a good headspace, she spends time with loved ones and takes a break from social media every once in a while. 

"I’m an open book for the most part, but it’s important for me to have space and time with my friends and family," she said. "When I’m with them, I try to be really present and just enjoy the moment."