Taking Breaks From Social Media Becomes More Common

More people are discovering that digital detoxing, particularly logging off social media, can lead to a healthy and fulfilling lifestyle.

05.15.24

From scrolling through social media for hours to clicking the offline button, people are discovering that taking a break from social media or quitting altogether, equates to a healthier lifestyle. Social media has been notorious for having a harmful impact on people’s lives, such as spreading negativity, creating false realities, inducing procrastination, affecting self-esteem and much more. In recognition of Mental Health Awareness Month, it is critical to understand the relationship between social media usage and mental well-being.

Ultimately, this series of unfortunate events motivates people’s decisions to log offline, adopting a trend called a “Digital Detox.” Statistics show that more people are considering quitting social media than not. As notified by BROAD Digital Consulting, increasing numbers of Gen Z members, although known for the excessive use of technology, are taking on forms of digital detoxing.

Current social media users have recently noticed a decline in the amount of people posting or remaining active across all platforms, especially Instagram and TikTok. According to Medium and a recent Reddit post, this trend is common among people who have recently hit their 20s, who spoke out about their personal experiences with digital detoxing and quitting social media.

Digital detoxing experiences point towards a healthier lifestyle, with no plans for deferring to old habits. People have found that their lives have changed by improving sleep cycles, social life, positivity levels and many other aspects. By speaking out about their stories, people hope to encourage the message to take a step back from social media and enjoy what life has to offer beyond our digital screens.

Kyana Early (she/her) is a journalist from the San Francisco Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture.