Tallulah Willis Opens Up About Physical Insecurities

05.21.21
Tallulah Willis Opens Up About Physical Insecurities (Photo: Leon Bennett/WireImage)

Tallulah Willis, the youngest daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, is opening up about her struggles with body dysmorphia.

In an Instagram post, the 27-year-old fashion designer spoke about physical insecurities she’s dealt with over the years and “punishing” herself for not looking like her mother. 

“I punished myself for not looking like my mom, after being told I was [Bruce Willis’] twin since birth – I resented the resemblance as I believed wholly my “masculine” face was the sole reason for my unlovability, Willis said in the post. 

However, Willis has come to realize that’s “false” and that she “was/am inherently valuable and worthy, at any life stage, at any size, with any hair ‘do!”

She also opened up about her mental health and gave advice to others who may be struggling with body dysmorphic disorder or feeling insecure. 

“We all want to feel good and confident, but when it creeps into a deeper, spookier place where it begins to devour your essence bit by bit, ask for help,” Willis said. “Do not feel ashamed — this is not a ‘stupid, vain issue,’ this is a genuine psychological pain, and I see you so clearly and witness the validity in your struggle.”

Willis said when she finds herself in a “BDD spiral,” she gets off social media, avoids mirrors, writing, breath exercises, taking baths and reaching out for support. 

“You can’t turn down the volume, and suddenly you lose the grip on your toolkit of recovery, and in no time at all, you are a soupy mess of insecurity and micro-obsession,” she said.