TikTok Trend ‘Quiet Life’ Is A Much-Needed Dose Of Relaxation

The “Quiet Life” is here to show that many, if not all, people crave relaxation amid a busy lifestyle.

07.04.23
TikTok Trend ‘Quiet Life’ Is A Much-Needed Dose Of Relaxation (Eepeng Cheong via Unsplash)

Taking a break from a busy schedule is not such a bad idea. At least not according to a new trend on TikTok called “Quiet Life.” Reaching over 73 million views, the viral trend comes to show that many, if not all, people crave a dose of relaxation amid a busy lifestyle. 

The “Quiet Life” trend is centered on pursuing peace in the midst of modern-day hustle culture.

@tika.mfdh #romanticizeyourlife ♬ original sound - alex

Today, hustle culture is prevalent as many people are driven to accomplish success-oriented goals. In our fast-paced modern world, people often jam-pack their days with tasks and responsibilities. However, in a recent article from The New York Times, Surgeon General Vivek Murthy discussed how the pressure to achieve is a contributing factor to the growing mental health crisis impacting adolescents and teens.

“Young people were saying to me that they felt that they were being asked to chase certain objectives – getting a job with a fancy title, making a lot of money, becoming famous, acquiring power. And not only did many of them say that they were exhausted, but they weren’t sure that was going to bring them happiness,” Murphy stated.

The trend directly targets hustle culture and encourages individuals to prioritize their well-being. It emphasizes the importance of personal check-ins. Living the “Quiet Life” consist of appreciating moments of pleasure, including but not limited to taking technology breaks, having slow-pace routines, practicing self-care, enjoying comforting hobbies (i.e. yoga, nature walking, journaling, painting, knitting and reading) and going to sleep early. These activities can help individuals reset, reflect and recharge.

Individuals who embrace the concepts have evidently improved their well-being. It is a gentle reminder to consider that true happiness can be found by finding a balance between the hustle and the simple things in life.

Kyana Early (she/her) is a journalist from the San Francisco Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture.