Tips for Cultivating Mental Wellness

Check out six ways Gen Z can stay on top of their mental well-being.

02.07.24
Tips for Cultivating Mental Wellness (Getty Images)

ChicagoAs a generation that came of age with unprecedented access to information, technology and evolving societal norms, Gen Z faces unique challenges in staying on top of their mental well-being. The challenges call for both age-old strategies and new, innovative ones. 

Here are a few Nairobinews suggestions.

Take a Digital Detox

Taking a regular break from digital devices can help prevent information overload and give you time to focus on practices that will help you manage stress. When you’re away from your phone, try things like meditation or deep breathing exercises to fill your time. 

Build resilience

Reframe challenges and setbacks as opportunities to grow and learn instead of resorting to harmful coping mechanisms.  

Encourage physical well-being

Exercise regularly and educate yourself on the importance of adequate sleep for optimal cognitive function and emotional well-being

Develop digital literacy 

Stay abreast of the various resources that can educate you about digital literacy, including how to stay safe online and how to navigate digital spaces responsibly.

Foster a sense of purpose 

Exploring your interests and your passions with an intense curiosity. Cultivating these might include getting involved in community service or social impact projects or simply learning more about a skill you wish to acquire. 

Seek mental health support

Break barriers and stigmas by starting open conversations about your mental health and the well-being of the ones you love. Research the mental health resources and support in educational settings and other platforms. See which ones might be suitable for you. 

Noah Johnson (he/him/his) is a Chicago-based journalist. Follow him on X: @noahwritestoo.