Workplace Wellness: Transitioning to New Responsibilities

05.31.23
Workplace Wellness: Transitioning to New Responsibilities (Kobu Agency via Unsplash)

ChicagoCompanies are always looking to grow and develop just like us. Sometimes that means trying new ways of getting things done or getting rid of things that don’t work too well, that are too expensive or waste too much time. This process can create a cycle of change and adjustment that isn't always easy to navigate for early career professionals and long-time employees alike. 

Maybe a team member who provided social media support is tasked with shifting to a new area, while their old responsibilities are dispersed among the team. Maybe the company is adjusting the way it communicates with its clients, placing you and your colleagues further away or closer to those conversations. Maybe a leadership position is being phased out in the team, with implications on how you and your workmates function operationally. Maybe you’ll be tasked with reporting to a new supervisor from another department. 

It can be tough on everyone involved to stay afloat amid the waves of change. Mistakes will likely be made and more fine-tuning will be necessary. However, here are things that might help you during the adjustment period. 

Understand what’s changing 

As soon as a change is announced, start taking notes. Make sure you understand what’s to come and what that means for your role. Will the way you interact with certain team members transform and if so how? What are some of the new responsibilities on your plate? If these questions aren’t answered during the announcement, make sure to pose them to your leaders. Issues might inevitably arise as you and your team discover unintended consequences of certain process changes but they will only be made worse if each person doesn’t fully understand their role in the overarching strategy. 

Talk with your colleagues 

Discussing recent changes with your colleagues could go a long way in either helping you adjust or reminding you that you aren’t the only one struggling with them. Ask them about their pain points, successes and general feelings. They might be able to offer advice on how to better adjust if they’ve already gotten the hang of something you haven’t. 

Share feedback with leaders

On your company’s self-improvement journey, employee feedback will be vital. Some things that should work in theory don’t always turn out that way in practice. Sometimes, other adjustments need to be made in order to make a strategy even stronger. Who better to inform those strategies than the people being affected by them on a daily-basis? That’s why you should pay close attention to how certain workplace changes are impacting  you and your work. Then, when you have a chance, share it with your boss. Let them know the challenges you face and even what you think has been working well.