My Mom’s a Superhero, but Not Immortal

by Obse Abebe
Also Featured on KCBS

My Mom’s a Superhero, but Not Immortal

by Obse Abebe
Also Featured on KCBS
05.09.21
Obse Abebe (right) stands alongside her sisters and her mom. (Photo courtesy of Obse Abebe)
05.09.21

If COVID-19 has taught me anything, it’s that while my mother may be one of my heroes, she too is still mortal. 

Growing up, I’ve looked up to my parents and assumed they would always be there. But when COVID-19 hit last year, it completely shattered that idea.

I still remember the first time I watched my mother put on her personal protective equipment for her nursing job. It took her about five minutes to get it all on and another five to ensure everything was secure.

It was like watching a soldier put on their body armor. But the only difference was that my mother had to protect herself and others from an unseeable foe. She looked strong, yet fragile. Prepared, but unprepared nonetheless.

It was then, at the age of 15, that I realized my mother was just as vulnerable to death as any of us. It made me hold her hug a tad longer that day. It made me sigh in relief when she got vaccinated. And it has me savoring this Mother’s Day a little more.

YR Media Statement in Support of AAPI Community