Not So Sweet 16: Nearly 40 Infected with Coronavirus at Birthday Party

10.20.20
Not So Sweet 16: Nearly 40 Infected with Coronavirus at Birthday Party (Photo: Lucy Lambriex/Getty Images)

A “sweet 16” celebration in Long Island, NY turned sour after many on the guest list were infected with COVID-19 and hundreds were forced to quarantine, according to the Suffolk County Department of Health Services.

All 81 invitees to the Sept. 25 party were forced to quarantine and were added to the county’s contact tracing system, health officials said.

As of Oct. 13, 29 people who attended the party tested positive for coronavirus and another eight contracted the virus through household contact and a close friend of someone who attended the event, Fox 32 Chicago reported.

“At present, 270 contact are under quarantine and 11 cases are under active isolation. Several contacts have already completed their quarantine period, as their exposure dates back to more than 14 days,” health officials said.

The venue, Miller Place Inn, was fined for exceeding the 50 person limit set forth by New York State for preventing the spread of the virus and allegedly operating a food establishment in “an unsanitary condition.”