Content in partnership with Talker

‘Smart’ Masks Can Tell if You’re Sick

New "smart" masks, which are paper, can monitor your breath for signs of illness and also be used to monitor alcohol intake.

09.03.24
‘Smart’ Masks Can Tell if You’re Sick (Caltech/Wei Gao and Wenzheng Heng via SWNS)

Cheap new “smart” masks can monitor our breath for signs of illness.

The paper masks could also be used to monitor alcohol intake, say scientists.

A new study showed how state-of-the-art mask technology can be used to assess metabolic and respiratory conditions.

The new masks cost a little over $1 to produce, according to research published in the Science journal.

From watches to patches and other types of sensors, personalized wearable devices that monitor people’s health – from heart activity to inflammation levels – are on the rise.

Now, a new type of wearable device can be added to the list: a high-tech paper mask that monitors breath.

Professor Wei Gao, of the California Institute of Technology, and his team developed the prototype for a smart mask that can be used to monitor several medical conditions – including respiratory ailments such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and COVID-19 infections.

Unlike other smart masks being developed that monitor physical changes such as the temperature, humidity, or rate of breath, the new one – called EBCare – can analyze the chemicals in a person’s breath in real time.

Gao explained that “EBC” stands for “exhaled breath condensate.” For example, the mask could monitor asthma patients for levels of nitrite, a chemical that indicates airway inflammation.

Originally published by Talker News