Content in partnership with Washington Square News

Exercise Evolution: Unique Ways Students Stay Active

Exercising can be much more than going to the gym. Here’s how three NYU students exercise both their body and brain beyond 404 Fitness.

12.06.23
Exercise Evolution: Unique Ways Students Stay Active (Getty Images)

New York City, NYby Chinara Dorancy

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

When you hear the word “exercise,” the first thing that comes to mind is the typical arm-day or leg-day routine. However, sometimes, the same gym routine every week can get repetitive. Exercising looks different for everyone, so this is how three students found an activity that helps them combine muscle-building and mindfulness.

Mixed martial arts

Stern senior Marcos Thomas inherited his passion for mixed martial arts from his father, and now he regularly practices at Midtown’s Renzo Gracie Academy. MMA is a combination combat sport that blends elements of karate and Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, judo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu and other disciplines. 

Muscle gain through MMA looks different from traditional gym routines. Thomas explained that due to his experience sparring, he was able to build his back strength.

Skateboarding

An iconic part of Washington Square Park are the skateboarders doing tricks under the arch. Though some see the activity as a pastime, Stern junior Adham Amin also sees it as an opportunity for exercise.

While the park can be overwhelming with its chaos, Amin often goes there to find peace of mind. Over time, his friends who skateboarded in the park inspired him to begin the hobby.

Rock climbing

CAS senior Damla Önder has been a rock climber at Brooklyn Boulders, a gym in Queens, for over two years. In her senior year of high school, Önder’s Spanish teacher introduced rock climbing to her, and it has interested her ever since. While the activity can be intimidating to some, Önder has often found comfort while climbing.

In addition to the rush of joy Önder experiences while climbing, she’s also improved her physical fitness.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.