Content in partnership with Talker

Tech Wrap for Finger Uses Sweat to Monitor Your Health

09.10.24
Tech Wrap for Finger Uses Sweat to Monitor Your Health (This finger wrap is powered by the wearer's fingertip sweat—and also monitors levels of glucose, lactate, vitamin C and levodopa in that same sweat. | Shichao Ding via SWNS)

A new lightweight device that wraps around one finger uses SWEAT to monitor health.

The state-of-the-art wearable provides vital information – such as glucose and vitamin levels – literally at our fingertips as easy as wearing a plaster, say scientists.

And they believe it could eventually revolutionize the treatment of diabetes.

American engineers developed the electronic finger wrap that monitors vital chemical levels – such as glucose, vitamins, and even drugs – present in the same fingertip sweat from which it derives its energy.

Project leader Professor Joseph Wang, of the University of California, San Diego, explained that the device, which wraps snugly around the finger, draws power from the fingertip’s sweat.

He said that fingertips, despite their small size, are among the body’s most prolific sweat producers, each packed with more than a thousand sweat glands.

The glands can produce up to 1,000 times more sweat than most other areas of the body, even during rest.

He says the design allows it to conform to the finger while being durable enough to withstand repeated bending, stretching and movement. 

Originally published by Talker News