Teens For Teeth: A Support Foster Care Fundraiser

Jason Mangum, a high school junior at Leading Edge Academy in Arizona and taking college courses at the East Valley Institute of Technology (EVIT), created a fundraiser called “Teens for Teeth” in an effort to provide children aging out of foster care with dental supplies. 

11.16.23
Teens For Teeth: A Support Foster Care Fundraiser (Dental students at East Valley Institute of Technology. | Jason Mangum)

Berkeley, CAJason Mangum, a high school junior at Leading Edge Academy in Arizona and taking college courses at the East Valley Institute of Technology (EVIT), created a fundraiser called “Teens for Teeth” in an effort to provide children aging out of foster care with dental supplies. 

When Mangum realized that children his age couldn’t afford to brush their teeth, he wanted to take action to change this issue and was inspired to aid the EVIT dentistry program’s dental drive. 

“I wanted to expand the dental drive beyond just the school by inviting the community to help through GoFundMe,” he explained.

Each donation amount equates to necessities supplied to children aging out of the foster care system, like floss, toothpaste packets and toothbrushes. For instance, $25 provided 2,000 floss that is donated. Mangum aimed to multiply the amount of donations received by EVIT dentistry program’s dental drive.

Although he’s not interested in dentistry, he likes to be involved in impactful things. In the future, he’d like to further his plans revolving around crowdfunding and charity. 

“My goal is to integrate my values with my passions in STEM and business, leaving an impact on the community,” he said.

Mangum’s efforts raised $500.

Jessica Park is a journalist and student at UC Berkeley. She writes for The Daily Californian and YR Media. Currently, she is pursuing a double major in English and Legal Studies.