Chronic Disease Teens Should Worry About

01.31.24
Chronic Disease Teens Should Worry About (Getty Images)

ChicagoAccording to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the next 40 years, there will be a disease that will increase by about 70% for people under 20. This disease is type 2 diabetes. In 2017, 213,000 teens in the United States had type 1. By 2060, over half a million are predicted to have type 2, a disease that’s typically only been seen in adults.

While it’s important for everyone to be very aware of the dangers of childhood obesity and the benefits of healthy diets, what’s maybe even more important is self-love. We know that genetics can play a factor into having diabetes, and according to another CDC article, so can being considered obese. Yes, a healthy lifestyle should be encouraged, especially in generations going forward, but so should loving who you are. 

Diabetes is definitely on the rise, though, especially in BIPOC communities. Specifically in the Black, Latino, Asian, Pacific Islander, and Native American youth. If we don’t do something about it soon, the problem will only get worse.