UChicago Students Ordered to Shelter-in-Place

04.13.21
UChicago Students Ordered to Shelter-in-Place (Photo: University of Chicago via The University of Chicago/Facebook)

DeKalb, ILThe University of Chicago issued a stay-at-home order and has halted all in-person classes for undergraduate students after a COVID-19 outbreak on campus.

More than 50 students, including many in residence halls, have tested positive and officials warned they “expect this number to increase.”

“We are particularly concerned because of the high likelihood that these cases involve the B.1.1.7 coronavirus variant, which is currently widespread in the Chicago area, appears to spread more easily than other variants and is able to cause more severe disease in people of all ages,” according to a university statement.

Many of the reported cases may have been connected to one or more parties held by off-campus fraternities over the last week, according to a university statement. The outbreak is the largest cluster of cases to reach the campus community since the academic year began. 

Classes will be held online at least until Thursday. Graduate classes may continue to meet in person as scheduled. Other precautions include an indefinite shift to takeout for all on-campus dining.