Do You Drink Enough Water? Probably Not

07.13.23
Do You Drink Enough Water? Probably Not (Steve Johnson via Unsplash)

BostonYou might’ve heard the advice to drink eight glasses of water a day from physicians, pop culture references, health classes and maybe even your family. That's easy to remember, and it's a reasonable goal to strive for on a day-to-day basis. 

But most people can keep themselves hydrated by drinking water and other fluids whenever they feel thirsty. For some people, fewer than eight glasses a day might be enough. Others could need more.

Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years. But your individual water needs are determined by a variety of factors, including your health, level of activity and your location.

H2O is the most important chemical component of your body, accounting for 50% to 70% of your body weight. As a result, we all rely on water to survive. It can be difficult to remember this fact or to reach the amount of water you need to stay hydrated regularly — especially in the summer — so we have some tips and reminders to help you stay consistent.

Water is beneficial to skin health.

Our skin is made up of 64% water and increasing your water intake will only have a positive impact. When you don't drink enough water, your pores become more visible and your skin appears duller. Drinking more water, when combined with a regular skincare routine, will help your skin look and feel its best.

Be conscious of the amount of water in your diet.

To prevent dehydration and make sure your body receives the fluids it requires, make water your beverage of choice. Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements, and for your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

You don't need to rely solely on water to meet your fluid needs as what you eat also contributes significantly. Consider including high-water-content fruits and vegetables, such as cucumber, celery, watermelon, strawberries, spinach, and tomatoes in your diet, as these in particular are almost 100% water by weight. This is a more tasty way to ensure you stay hydrated while getting lots of beneficial vitamins and nutrients at the same time.

Your attention span and focus depends on the amount of water you drink. 

Research shows that there is a close link between drinking water and brain function because the brain itself is made up of approximately 85% water. Have you ever faced challenges to stay focused at school, work or concentrate on what you’re doing in general? If you’re having trouble coming up with answers to simple questions, or can’t shake the fog that has developed in your mind, there is a very good chance you may be dehydrated. 

Dehydration can cause depression, fatigue and sleep issues, and “brain fog,” which is the lack of mental clarity. Studies show that you only need to be 1% dehydrated to experience a 5% decrease in cognitive function, and a 2% decrease in hydration can cause short-term memory loss as well as difficulty solving math problems. 

Since the brain cannot store water and you are constantly losing water through perspiration and other body functions, it is crucial that you continuously hydrate. You’ll be able to think faster, focus more clearly and experience solid clarity when your brain is running on enough water.

Water plays an important role in the body’s ability to function and heal.

Every cell, tissue and organ in your body needs water to work properly. Maintaining proper hydration is crucial if you’re recovering from a surgery or injury, and one of the easiest ways to reduce pain is to increase your daily intake of clean water.

Invest in a reusable water bottle. 

A reusable water bottle will allow you to drink plenty of water regardless of where you are. Bring your water bottle with you to school, work, or a friend's house not only for easy hydration but also as a fashion accessory. Stanleys and Hydroflasks are two trendy bottles, but you can find more affordable brands on Amazon.

Trinity Alicia (she/her/hers) is a Boston-based journalist. Follow her on Twitter: @trinityaliciaa