Weary of Nose Swabs? New COVID-19 Gargling Test in Development

11.02.20
Weary of Nose Swabs? New COVID-19 Gargling Test in Development (Photo: Craig F. Walker/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

The image of a long cotton swab going in the nose is enough to make anyone fearful of getting tested for coronavirus. Now, there’s another way you may be able to find out your status.

A saltwater solution that can be used like a mouthwash is being tested at the University of Arizona.

Michael Worobey, head of the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the university, said all you have to do is gargle the special saline solution, spit it in a cup and send the sample to the lab.

Worobey, who specializes in the evolution of viruses, has used the method on students with coronavirus in isolated dorms.

It’s more “tolerable” than the swab and “people can do it all by themselves and even keep their mask on almost the whole time,” he said.