Content in partnership with KCBS

Valentine’s Day: You, Yourself and Your One-sided Crush 

If you're single and pining over a crush who may never love you back, take heart! Valentine’s Day is a celebration of all types of love.

02.07.22
Valentine’s Day: You, Yourself and Your One-sided Crush  (Photo: Leonardo Sanches/Unsplash)

I’ve had zero romantic relationships during my 17 years on Earth. But the number of one-sided crushes? Hold on, I’m still counting. 

Waking up extra early to get ready on days I’ll see my crush, mastering the skill of looking-without-looking-like I’m looking, squealing to my friends about how fluffy their hair is ... Well let’s just say, I’m very familiar with the symptoms of a one-sided crush.

When I was younger, giggling and fawning over someone who might not feel the same way was part of the excitement of growing up. 

But as I get older, I feel that liking someone without expectations of receiving in return has become increasingly unacceptable. A two-way relationship is the end goal. And one-sided love is enough reason for despair — especially on Valentine’s Day. 

However, love doesn’t have to be mutual in order to be valuable. The way my cheeks flush when my crush walks by or the butterflies that form when they come to mind are a gift and proof of my warm soul. 

So this Valentine’s Day, the hopeless unrequited romantics of the world should take pride and rest assured that our hearts are in proper order.