Content in partnership with KALW

My Dad’s Dinners Bring Us Together

If there's one thing my dad has taught me, it's taking care. He shows me the differences between doing things quickly, and doing them right.

06.20.24
My Dad’s Dinners Bring Us Together (Courtesy of Piper Stuip)

At my house, in between our busy schedules, dinners made by my dad are where we all come together. 

My dad came to America in the mid-90s. He settled here in the Bay Area and started taking up chef jobs. Now, he’s worked in the industry for over 25 years. 

The kitchen teaches discipline — and while this can manifest in a militant atmosphere — it also teaches diligence and comradery. These principles are the true, beating heart of any kitchen. Working in a restaurant fosters appreciation for not just the food itself, but the whole production.

If there’s one thing my dad has taught me, it’s taking care. Because my dad cooks like he does all things — gentle, controlled. He’s taught me the difference between doing things quickly, and doing them right.

In two years, I’ll be off at college. Sometimes, I worry that when I go off to live on my own, I’ll forget what’s important. But as I grow up, I try to carry this diligence into every aspect of my life. 

Piper Stuip (she/her), is a high school sophomore at Oakland School for the Arts focusing on creative writing.

Edited by shaylyn martos