Figuring Out Your 20s: What I’ve Learned So Far

Every day, I am learning something new about myself and the world, and I can’t wait to continue this decade and explore even more life.

03.15.24
Figuring Out Your 20s: What I’ve Learned So Far (Getty Images)

SeattleLast week, I celebrated my birthday, and being halfway through my 20s and experiencing adulthood in many aspects, I’ve learned a lot. Here are five things I’ve learned in my 20s. 

Adulthood is fluid: there isn’t one way to be an adult, and times are changing. Adulthood for my mom started after immigrating to the USA, while adulthood for me was going to college and living in my first apartment with roommates. With new generations rising and varying conditions in our financial and political climates, our experiences are unique, so how we navigate adulthood is up to us. 

Dream jobs are subjective: regardless of industry, you will find that you will start at the bottom, and most dream jobs don’t exist. Since graduating college, I’ve had three different roles, and I can finally say I’m doing work that I enjoy and can see opportunities for growth in my career. It takes time to advocate for yourself and get to where you want. 

You don’t talk to your friends daily: life and responsibilities are demanding. I used to make things personal when my friends didn’t respond to every text or pick up every phone call until my lifestyle did not always make room for talking to friends daily. As long as you are showing up for your friends when it matters, that’s all that matters. 

Don’t fully inflate your lifestyle:  lifestyle creep became real when I went from using scholarships and grants to pay for my living expenses to making a consistent income. I slowly started buying nicer things and having more luxurious experiences when I realized I was too deep into an inflated lifestyle. Transitioning to budgeting every expense has been challenging. Still, it is far better to live a life you can afford and where you’re comfortable than living outside your means and having no control over your money. 

Everything will work out: seasons don’t last forever, and there is so much more life to live, people to meet, and experiences to embark on. Who I was when I was 13 and who I am in my 20s  are entirely different. I refuse to believe circumstances - good or bad - will last forever.

It’s so liberating to be in my 20s in 2024. Every day, I am learning something new about myself and the world, and I can’t wait to continue this decade and explore even more life.

Tracy Noze is a Seattle-based journalist.