Figuring Out Your 20s: Year-End Reflections

I'm embracing where I am and not letting whatever I didn't measure up to impact my worth.

10.27.23
Figuring Out Your 20s: Year-End Reflections (Estee Janssens via Unsplash)

Before writing an article for this column, I want to acknowledge what’s happening. I wrote about figuring out your 20s when the world is messy, and my sentiments are still the same. I urge anyone reading this to do your part in staying informed and supporting however you can. My heart and prayers go out to everyone affected by this conflict. 

As the year comes to an end, I can’t help but think how quickly it flew by, and the concept of time feels fake. When I started this column earlier this year, I wrote about figuring out your 20s and New Year resolutions. It has come full circle, and being in the last months of the year means it’s only fitting to reflect on my goals. 

I organized my 2023 goals by different areas where I wanted to grow. I had one to three goals that reflected how I wanted my finances, health and fitness, career, spiritual and personal life to be. I had no intention of measuring my goals, but I wanted to be realistic while giving myself space to grow and do more.

I was pleasantly surprised reading what I wrote I wanted to achieve this year and realizing I achieved most of them. I spent the year focused on doing things but rarely looked at my notebook to see my north star and if I was working in the right direction. I would have saved myself many headaches in the moments when I felt I wasn’t doing enough. 

One of my goals this year was to create social media content consistently. I constantly wrestled with negative emotions when I saw my social media following had not grown like I wanted. Increasing my following was never the goal, but at some point in the year, I created this unrealistic goal that took away from what I was achieving. This year, I did become consistent with filming, editing, and posting content. I also redefined and found my niche, my presence and reach are increasing on platforms, and I’ve had more than one brand collaboration. If I could tell Tracy in January these accomplishments, she would be so proud and see everything else doesn’t matter. 

I’m focusing on ending on a good note for the rest of the year. I’m allowing myself to see what I’ve done and be proud of my accomplishments. I’m embracing where I am and not letting whatever I didn’t measure up to impact my worth. Lastly, I’m challenging myself to continue working toward those financial, spiritual, and personal goals and challenging myself past my comfort zone while extending grace to myself.  

Tracy Noze is a Seattle-based journalist.

Edited by Nykeya Woods.