Content in partnership with Washington Square News

How I Moved Past My First-Gen Imposter Syndrome

My parents’ expectations caused me to use perfectionism as a survival tactic. Proud to Be First’s Secrets to Success Panel showed me that I’m not alone.

11.11.22
How I Moved Past My First-Gen Imposter Syndrome (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra via Washington Square News)

New York City, NYby Noor Maahin

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

If I had to choose one word to describe the academic environment I grew up in, it would be “expectations.” I had to be successful in my future: have a promising career, a lovely house and a comfortable income.

After immigrating to the United States, my parents believed that a good education would yield a comfortable life with many freedoms. My father worked many odd jobs, and could not speak up against racist bosses and microaggressions out of fear that he would lose his job and income. While my mother was a brilliant student and hard worker, a successful career in America required more than a Pakistani college degree. 

Growing up as a first-generation immigrant was difficult. My parents didn’t have the best earnings and we constantly moved from house to house. My parents did not want me to face the same struggles that they did, so my mother would always tell me that I had to have the highest grades in class and be the best student. This idea trickled down to me and my siblings. 

I remember how much paper and ink my mother wasted on reading comprehension and math packets. Now, I won’t lie and say it didn’t work. Here I am, studying the subject I love at my dream school. 

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.