Content in partnership with True Star

Is Gen Z Equipped for Adult Life?

09.06.23
Is Gen Z Equipped for Adult Life?

Washington, DCA few days ago, my friend’s car broke down while we were hanging out.  After opening the hood of the car, we soon realized that we had no idea what to do (She ended up calling her mother and she solved the issue.).  This made me think, what else do me and my peers not know how to do? Can we make it around town without a GPS?  Do we know how to file taxes? Can we parallel park?

The generation before us had to learn how to drive, cook, along with a plethora of other skills because they had no other choice.  

Can Gen Z Manage Their Finances?

If I were to go to prison for anything, it would be accidentally committing tax fraud.  Nobody tells you how to file taxes or budget in school, so most of my friends opt to use TurboTax.

After asking 10 of my peers what a credit score was, six of them had no idea, three tried to explain it (leaving me even more confused), and one person actually got through to me.

Can Gen Z Navigate Without A Phone?

After using a GPS to get everywhere around my hometown, I realized that I have no idea how to navigate without my Maps app.  I don’t even know street names.  In fact, none of my peers know street names well. 

Can Gen Z Cook?

This year, my dorm room has its very own kitchen, a perfect opportunity to find out whether Gen Z can really cook.  For the past few days, I’ve had my friends come over to my room to cook dinner.  Although every dish ended up tasting amazing, every single one of them used an online recipe for every single step.  What temperature should the oven be on?  How long does this bake?  How much garlic do I use?  Every single question answered by a quick glance at their phones.

Read more …

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.