Goodbye Quarantine Blues: How I Found My New Best Friend

08.10.20
Goodbye Quarantine Blues: How I Found My New Best Friend (Photo courtesy of Adan Barrera)

Although I’m with my family, quarantine has been awfully lonely. I severely miss hanging out with friends from school and work. But a lot of that has changed ever since I met my three-legged buddy.

One day, my sister rescued a puppy with only three legs. The original plan was for the puppy to stay with us until we could find her a new home. As the days went by, I knew I didn’t want her to leave. She brings out something in me that I’ve been missing for a while — happiness.

I love watching my dog perfect a trick that we worked hard on for days. She will often do the silliest things like bark hysterically at a colony of ants.

What was once a sorrow drag through life at home, filled with pessimism for the future and longing for the past, has now turned into one super long play date with my dog.

Adopting a dog was something that never crossed my mind, especially during quarantine. But I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. Although the world seems increasingly sadistic, having her around has made me appreciate life once again.