Content in partnership with Washington Square News

Balancing Act Between Familiar Spaces And Homesickness

Help that homesickness; a first-year gives their tips on finding comfort and embracing the familiar at NYU.

09.30.22
Balancing Act Between Familiar Spaces And Homesickness (Getty Images)

by Leeann Mclemore

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

In the excitement of getting my acceptance letter from the Gallatin School of Individualized Study, I only thought about the world of new opportunities and connections I would make after moving to New York City. However — coming from El Paso, a city in Texas bordering Mexico — I never thought to pause and consider how to mentally prepare myself for such an extreme cultural shock. I felt paradoxically isolated and homesick but I was determined to change that.

Without realizing it, each day has become easier to be away from home because I have surrounded myself with familiarity and built a sense of community for myself. 

Cultural food

I rejoiced at the sight of a Mexican restaurant near campus, having been away from home for almost two weeks. I vigorously scanned ATLA’s menu for my favorite traditional Mexican dish: Torta de Milanesa. However, when the food finally arrived, I realized that the dish was all wrong: it had hamburger bread instead of bolillo, and the avocados were missing. Feeling disappointed about the meal, I left the restaurant feeling disconnected from my culture and deeply homesick. 

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.