Understanding Native American Heritage

Looking for ways to honor Indigenous cultures and rethink Thanksgiving celebrations? We have four tips for you.

11.20.23
Understanding Native American Heritage (Getty Images)

Greenwich, CTLooking for ways to honor Indigenous cultures and rethink Thanksgiving celebrations? 

We have four tips for you.

Learn what native land you’re on

Long before you were born, the land that you’re on was occupied by Native Americans and their tribes. Land is sacred to all of us, so it is important to learn the history of the land you are currently on. 

Follow Native Americans on social media 

One of the best ways to learn about Native American heritage is to follow Native American people on social media and learn about their perspectives. Their lives may be very different from your own, and it is important to be exposed to these viewpoints and to hear about their culture. 

Kaitlin B. Curtice (@KaitlinCurtice on X) is a citizen of Potawatomi Nation, and is an award-winning author, poet, and public speaker. 

Elizabeth Hidalgo Reese (@yunpovi on X) is a Pueblo assistant professor of law at Harvard University, and uses her platform to share about Indian law, constitutional law, race, and voting.

Willow Allen (@Willow.Allen on Instagram) is a Inuit model and TikToker who shares aspects of her Native identity online. 

Taylor Begay (@Taylor_Cheii_Begay on Instagram)  is a Native American teen and founder of “The Cheii Show.

Read books written by Indigenous authors and poets 

Reading books by Indigenous authors is the perfect way to get information about their lives directly from the source. Not only will you be supporting a marginalized group, but you will also learn about a different culture. 

Donate to Native American-led nonprofits

Donating is a good way to give support to some nonprofits that might be underfunded or less recognized than bigger ones. Native American Rights Fund, Indigenous Women Rising, and Honor the Earth are a few good places to start. 

Shreya Prabhu is a student journalist from Greenwich, Connecticut. She is passionate about bringing more youth voices into the journalism world. You can find her on Instagram @shreyaprab.