It’s Senior Year, but I Hope My High School Won’t Reopen

09.28.20
It’s Senior Year, but I Hope My High School Won’t Reopen (Photo courtesy of Etta Washburn)

Thanks to COVID, my senior year will take place from my couch. Coming to terms with this reality was hard, but over time I’ve made peace with the fact that it’s possible that I won’t be going back to my high school campus ever again.

All my junior year, I worried about how I was going to say goodbye to some of the most formative years of my life. Now, because of COVID I don’t have to think about saying goodbye “properly.” 

I feel ok about the fact my final day of high school won’t be tainted with tears or worry for the future. That’s not to say there aren’t things I’m going to miss, like spending actual physical time with my friends, but getting some space from my everyday activities makes imagining a life without them a lot easier. 

So no, I’m not hoping school starts again in the spring. I’m not interested in having to reinvest myself in that environment just to have to leave again. It feels better knowing that my last day of high school, like so many of the other finalities that I will experience in my lifetime, was just another day.