Golden Rule: Treat Others Like You’d Want to be Treated

We are now living in a time where being rude is right and being kind is a form of weakness. Let's change this narrative and discuss why we need kindness more than ever to survive as a human race.

08.28.23
Golden Rule: Treat Others Like You’d Want to be Treated (Getty Images)

GeorgiaThe Golden Rule, in simple principle, is to treat others the way you want to be treated, and this principle ought to be followed for those who wish to go far in life. In modern times, I believe being kind and genuinely respecting others is valued even if you do not subscribe to their ways of thinking. 

Instances where young people are in various environments, such as the 16-year-old who was recently fired from her fast food job at Chick-fil-A for unnatural hair. Others can debate how she should have taken the fast food restaurant’s uniform policy more seriously, but the teen lived daily as her authentic self. She told media outlets, 'Who's to say what anybody can look like based on their race?' 

It is an instance of people assuming based on evaluating appearances without regard to personality and self that erases humility in approaching individuals. Kindness is needed more than ever in the current society with ongoing prejudice against different communities regardless of whom one loves, and the disengagement of holding discussions about hearing multiple perspectives without concluding the other person is wrong. 

In today's society, there is a prevalent tendency for people to make assumptions about others solely based on their physical appearance, completely disregarding their true personality and individuality. This harmful practice undermines the importance of humility when interacting with others and perpetuates a lack of kindness that is desperately needed in our world. It is crucial, now more than ever, to combat the ongoing prejudice against various communities, irrespective of one's sexual orientation or personal choices. Furthermore, we must strive to create an environment where open discussions can occur, allowing for exploring diverse perspectives without immediately labeling the other person as "wrong." 

Referring back to the timeless principle of the Golden Rule, my parents instilled in me the value of treating others with the same respect and kindness that I would desire for myself. They taught me that how we treat others is a direct reflection of our own character. Many individuals aspire to achieve success in various fields such as business, politics, entertainment, and sports. 

However, one crucial aspect that contributes to this success is the presence of humility. This notion has been reinforced in my encounters with notable personalities like Singer Wendy Starland, WWE Wrestler, National Motivational Speaker, and millionaire Marc Mero, as well as other public figures who have emphasized the significance of kindness. 

Kindness should not be limited to occasions when we expect something in return, but rather it should be a fundamental principle guiding our actions because it is the morally right thing to do. 

Treating people with dignity and respect is essential to acknowledging their humanity. As humans, we naturally possess diverse lifestyles and thought processes. However, by embracing our imperfections and working towards personal growth, we can become better versions of ourselves while uplifting others instead of projecting our own insecurities onto them. Our human race's survival hinges upon humility, compassion, empathy, and kindness toward one another. Without these qualities, we risk dividing society into factions and gradually dehumanizing our own fellow beings. 

Ashleigh Ewald (she/her/hers) is a Georgia-based journalist who attends Oglethorpe University. Follow her on IG: @ashleighewaldofficial.