Content in partnership with True Star

How Should Transgender Athletes Compete In Sports?

06.15.23
How Should Transgender Athletes Compete In Sports? (Getty Images)

ChicagoA bill was recently passed in Alabama forcing collegiate transgender athletes to play sports based on their gender assigned at birth. This legislation will directly impact transgender women and girls, prohibiting them from playing sports on women’s and girls’ teams.

Passing this legislation was supposedly done as a method of keeping sports fair according to Alabama Governor Kay Ivey. “If you are a biological male, you are not going to be competing in women’s and girls’ sports in Alabama. It’s about fairness, plain and simple,” said Ivey in a statement according to CBS News.

This begs the assumption that other states will potentially pass the same or similar bills creating further limitations on athletes who identify as transgender and transgender people as a whole.

This doesn’t appear to be something done for the sake of fairness considering transgender women are being mistreated and targeted in the process. Many believe that fairness would be allowing women, whether they identify as transgender or not, to compete with other women.

Read more …

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.