Master P’s Dream? Owning an HBCU

03.15.21
Master P’s Dream? Owning an HBCU (Photo: Scott Olson/Getty Images)

DeKalb, ILFinding out most Historically Black Colleges and Universities were started with government land grants during the Reconstruction Era gave hip hop star Master P an idea. 

The New Orleans-bred music mogul wants to put his money on the table.

“I used to want to own an NBA team but now I want to own a HBCU,” Master P said on Instagram, adding he wanted to attend Southern University and A&M College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana after visiting his friend, Avery Johnson, several times.

He was shocked to learn who owned and founded HBCUs and that “we can’t change the past but we can change the future by investing in the next generation.” 

Many celebrities and organizations have invested in HBCUs in recent years. During the NBA All-Star Game, the league generated $3 million that will be used to promote these colleges and universities. 

“This message is all about educating our people,” said Master P. “Anybody that’s listening to this and has a business, I want y’all to join this movement with me. We need to make sure our kids get educated the way other cultures are educated.”