I’m Graduating College – But What’s Next?

The question all new grads hate the most: “What are your plans now that you’ve graduated?”

06.27.22
I’m Graduating College – But What’s Next? (Photo courtesy of Nina Roehl)

This past year, I found myself constantly saying, “I’m so ready to be done with school.” But now that graduation is over, I’m nervous about not being a student anymore.

Now that college is behind me, I feel uncomfortable knowing there are no more built-in milestones to reach anymore. I’m more in charge of my own life than I’ve ever been before. And that scares me.

My anxieties get kicked up a notch when everyone — my family, and even strangers ask, “What are your plans now that you’ve graduated?”

I get unsolicited advice about what I should do – grad school, move, etc. Why can’t it be okay to still not be sure yet?

When I get stressed out about my future I try to remember what my mom tells me all the time – I’m young. This is the time for me to try new things and figure out what I want.

As someone who loves to plan everything, I’m trying to let go of the idea that I have to know exactly what happens next for me. It’s okay to not know. I don’t have to have everything figured out yet.