Uh Oh! It’s Senior Year and I’m Turning 18

07.29.22
Uh Oh! It’s Senior Year and I’m Turning 18 (Courtesy of Isabel Salgado)

What does being a senior in high school mean? To me, it means reaching the last stage in my life where someone is holding my hand and telling me what to learn, what assignments I need to do and how to act with people my age. Which is something that makes me nervous because school will no longer help me with things. 

When I get into college, the school is not going to call my parents that I did not go that day or give reminders for assignments that are due. Being a senior also comes with the expectation of needing to know all these things. Knowing what college I need to go to and what are the benefits of each college. Is it better to stay in state or should I stay in state? 

Not only is senior year the stage where you attempt to be independent, it is also a year where many students turn 18. This is a big moment in life and that means being able to do things that I couldn’t do before like voting. And there’s always an election. Not only does being 18 change what I am able to do, but there is a stigma around the age. 

Now I am considered an adult, but in most aspects may not feel that way. I can apply for a credit card or loan. In Illinois, I can rent an apartment. I can join the military. But I think people are still going to treat me as a kid, although I am still seen as a young adult. This feeling is a little overwhelming. Now I need to know how to pay taxes and build and manage my credit.

But then I realize that I am not ready to be a young adult because I still don’t understand what the expectations are. It puts the pressure on me to know certain things. But that’s adult life — so I’ve heard. 

Senior year brings many new opportunities that I was not able to get before. I’m looking forward to this next stage in my life and luckily I have my family to help me get through it.