Content in partnership with KCBS

I’m 18 Now, Who’s Changed? Not Me.

05.03.23
I’m 18 Now, Who’s Changed? Not Me. (By Sturti via Getty Images)

Los AngelesBefore turning 18, I felt like everyone supported me in my decision to apply to a mix of private and public colleges. But after my 18th birthday, reality sunk in.

A couple months ago, my mom sat me down. She told me it’s more financially realistic to go to a state school. This wasn’t surprising to me, but I felt gutted hearing it. And this was just the start of a downpour of new responsibilities like student loans and job prospects.

It’s funny, in a sense, I feel about the same as I did when I was 17 years and 363 days old. Except now I have new expectations from peers, adults and family.

Still, in this transitioning period, from a child to an adult, I try to not let the new responsibilities and pressure overwhelm me. I’m treating myself as best I can through this period — like, celebrating a college acceptance with a coffee using my first debit card.

I had an expectation of what turning 18 would be — like I would suddenly feel grown up. But rather than the immediate change I expected, I now realize it's just a new start to a new me.