Willow Smith Talks About Being Polyamorous

04.29.21
Willow Smith Talks About Being Polyamorous (Photo: Getty Images)

DeKalb, ILActress and singer Willow Smith is opening up about being polyamorous in this week’s latest episode of “Red Table Talk” and hopes to educate others by sharing her own experiences. 

Polyamorous is defined as being in more than one intimate relationship at the same time. The 20-year-old opened up about her experience with her mother, Jada Pinkett Smith, and grandmother, Adrienne Banfield-Norris, during Wednesday’s “Red Table Talk.” 

“With polyamory, I feel like the main foundation is the freedom to be able to create a relationship style that works for you and not just stepping into monogamy because that’s what everyone around you says is the right thing to do,” Smith said. 

Smith was introduced to consensual non-monogamy “through kind of a non-sexual lens,” and stressed that having more than one partner at a time doesn’t mean she’s more sexually active.

This wasn’t the first time she discussed her experiences of being in polyamorous relationships. In a 2019 episode, she said she “could be polyfidelitous” with one man and one woman.

She didn’t see herself having more than two intimate partners at a time, but while the history of marriage “really irks” her, she hasn’t completely ruled out getting married in the future under specific circumstances.

“Let’s say me and my partner or partners wants to help people and we need to put our finances together in order to make that vision happen,” Smith said. “That’s the only way I could see myself getting married.”