Investing in Independent Media by and for the Next Generation

Youth Radio’s Growth Campaign will amplify youth voices in all 50 states.

Our nation faces a crisis of distrust in journalism and civic institutions, as the rallying cry of “fake news” becomes a frequent reaction to reporting. Yet in this same moment, young people are finding new ways to overcome powerlessness, participate in civic dialogue, and become truth-tellers for their communities. Our country is experiencing an explosion of youth activism and youth media related to #MeToo and gun control, gender freedom and DACA rights. The stakes are high, and the next generation is clearly poised with solutions. Youth Radio is in a unique and immediate position to amplify the voices of young people with the most at stake, and to ensure youth journalism plays a vital role in American democracy. We’ve built a highly respected brand, gold-standard editorial training and mentoring for new journalists, and partnerships with the nation’s leading legacy media venues, as well as emerging digital outlets. This moment calls for an expanded vision and new investments to support Youth Radio’s launch of the nation’s first daily news and arts source produced by young people.

Our youth-driven independent media enterprise will:

•  Feature top quality news, arts and culture
•  Continue to partner with the New York Times, NPR, Teen Vogue, and other major outlets but will not rely on them for revenue or audience
•  Speak directly to the new generation, which is the most diverse in our nation’s history

Youth Radio has the opportunity to drive transformational impact through three central, mutually reinforcing pillars:

To learn more about how you can support our new, daily website’s launch this fall, contact development@youthradio.org.

Download the National Network Growth Two Pager (.pdf)