5 Ways To Spend The Holidays If You’re Alone

Here are the best ways to enjoy the holidays solo.

11.23.22
5 Ways To Spend The Holidays If You’re Alone (Getty Images)

New York City, NYThe holiday season is a time of Christmas carols, cooking feasts, giving back and other festivities with family, friends or loved ones. However, some may have a different experience this year.

As the pandemic still looms worldwide, many have to spend the holidays alone due to relocation, financial reasons, separation from a loved one, etc.

During a cheerful season, it is normal to feel more isolated than ever, especially if this is one’s first holiday alone. Yet, there are ways to make this your best holiday ever, even if you are by yourself. 

1. Binge on a book, movie or TV show

Watch a show you've been dying to catch up but didn’t have the time for because of work, school or just life in general. Go to a local library or shop online for a book that interests you and give it a read. Not only will this help keep you busy, but this will take you out of reality for a moment and allows you to enjoy your space alone.

1. Self-care party

Nothing is better than giving yourself a day of pampering and relaxation. Treat yourself to whatever makes you happy, whether that’s having a spa day in your home or playing video games all day. Have the time of your life taking care of your hygiene and mental health.

1. Volunteer

Giving back is one of the main reasons people celebrate the holiday. Volunteering at a local shelter or center is a great way to not only bring in the holiday but to serve those in your community who need your help. This allows you to experience life through a different lens and be more appreciative of the things you have in life.

1. Complete your New Year's resolutions

Most are guilty of failing to complete all, some, or none of their New Year's resolutions. Spending the holidays alone gives you the perfect opportunity to check off some goals on your list before the new year arrives. If the goals are short-term, set days dedicated to completing your list before time is up. If they’re long-term goals, put them at the top of your resolutions list for next year. This way you aren’t completely removing the goal but delaying so you can accomplish it.

1. Try something new 

Travel somewhere new, whether it’s out of the state, country, or a few blocks away. Try out a new restaurant or recipe that you have been eyeing for a long time. This will not only get you out of your comfort zone but allow you to experience something that might change your life for the better.