A View From Afar: Looking for Colleges During the Pandemic

04.05.21
A View From Afar: Looking for Colleges During the Pandemic (Photo: Luke Thomas)

I’m a senior in high school and my college search wasn’t what I expected it to be. Especially since I haven’t actually visited my college before committing. 

My mom, uncle and cousin all graduated from the College of Wooster.

I’ve heard all their stories. From the frequent sightings of kilt-wearing bagpipe players, to this weird tradition of filling an entire hallway from floor to ceiling with snow.

So naturally, I started my college search there.

When I did my virtual tour of the school, it was hardly an immersive experience. I tried to grasp the atmosphere of the campus from 2,500 miles away while in my pajamas at home.

But on paper, the school is perfect for me –– small class sizes, lots of support for students with ADHD, and a journalism department. And based on all the stories I've heard, I trusted that this would be the school for me. So I accepted their offer. 

Part of me is still absolutely terrified I made the wrong choice. I’ll be visiting this spring break, and that’ll be my first time actually being on campus. And I’m seriously hoping that it lives up to almost 18 years of hype.