An Investment Fund Investing in the Future [Gen Z]

Times are changing in the marketplace. Here’s how one firm leveraged a Gen Z advisory board to help change their approach and tap into the next wave of consumer spending.

07.13.23
An Investment Fund Investing in the Future [Gen Z] (Alexis Brown via Unsplash)

As the years go by, Gen Z grows to become the next world leaders, and one firm is taking advantage of this fact. 

Colleagues at Able Partners, an investment fund based in New York, realized that there is a gap between investors belonging to later generations trying to service the youth. In order to keep up with the continuous trends of Gen Z, Able formed an advisory board of 12 members aged 18 to 25, according to Inc. Magazine.

The board members, selected through outreach to colleges, universities and Gen Z-focused investing programs, serve to beta-test new products, attend pitch meetings and propose valuable investment opportunities to the company. 

The board comes from diverse backgrounds, has varying career aspirations and bring a lot to the Able Partner’s conference table. “They give us a new perspective that can be really helpful to augment our work,” Alison Ryu said, a partner at Able.

Of course, Gen Z is far from a monolithic group, but tends to share specific preferences when deciding what companies to support. One board member and recent Stanford grad, Shobba Dasari, remarks that Gen Z values the philosophies behind the items they purchase and prefers brands they can proudly represent.

When companies have direct engagement with Gen Z, they can better understand their needs and ensure that the problems they address are actually relevant.

So far, Able Partners currently includes companies like Zócalo Health, Blueland and Nécessaire in its portfolio. Additionally, in recognizing the growing influence of this generation, Able is actively seeking out companies targeting Gen Z. Companies focused on supporting the needs and preferences of Gen Z can form a mutually beneficial relationship — ensuring market success for the company, and the growth for the people for many generations to come.

Knives Nguyen, (he/them/theirs) is a journalist from the Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture. You can connect with them on LinkedIn: @knivesnguyen.