Without Access to Academic Support, I Resort to Teaching Myself

01.03.22
Without Access to Academic Support, I Resort to Teaching Myself (Photo: Green Chameleon/ Unsplash)

I’m a sophomore in high school. In theory, my school has many resources for us — tutoring, college counseling. But after trying all of them, the experience has been disappointing.

When I study for an exam, I always try to start a week before — especially if I struggle with that class. I’ll pull out my heavy textbook and skim the chapters. When things don’t make sense, I get stuck Googling endlessly — only to find irrelevant answers. Hours go by, and I start questioning if I can really get through this class.

Having even a little more time with a tutor would alleviate some of the hours I spend trying to teach myself. But that support isn’t something my family can afford. And the peer tutoring at school doesn't offer help for the classes I’m taking.

School isn’t easy. But why should it be more challenging than it has to be? When I am struggling with classes, I go where I think I should: school. But I'm not getting what I need. I need mentoring and support to fill the gaps — and I can't build the skills to be successful by myself.