Test-Optional Colleges Gives Seniors Big Decision to Submit ACT/SAT Scores

Some students ask: Is sending my ACT and/or SAT scores actually worth it?

01.10.22
Test-Optional Colleges Gives Seniors Big Decision to Submit ACT/SAT Scores (Photo: Getty Images)

Kenosha, WIHigh school seniors face the tough decision of sending their ACT or SAT scores to colleges they’re applying for, making relative importance and necessity, or cost the main factors. 

Mireya Kubisiak attends Indian Trail High School in Kenosha, WI as a senior who is applying to multiple colleges like Northwestern University and University of Wisconsin-Madison. 

The 17-year-old is submitting her scores to her top three colleges, but not for her backup applications. The cost for submitting the scores is around $15 depending on the school, and she didn’t feel the need to spend money on backup submissions. 

“I chose to send them in because I feel I did my best on the test and I want the admissions office to understand where I am test-taking wise,” said Kubisiak.-a

According to The National Center for Fair and Open Testing, 75% of universities and colleges will remain as test-optional for this year

Nadia Covelli, also at Indian Trail, will not be submitting her scores to any schools. She is focusing on Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD).

“For my college, it wouldn’t affect my scholarship at all to send them in or not,” said Covelli. MIAD focused more on an art portfolio rather than testing scores.

But, as standardized testing scores aren't a predominant aspect for admissions officers anymore, personal essays are jumping into the spotlight. 

Kubsick feels the essay portion is the most important because it highlights a part of her that is not shown on the rest of the application. 

“My essay topic is about my mom and how she’s a first generation student with her Master’s in Social Work,” she said. “It’s a personal piece of me that plays a big part in what kind of person and student I am, so I hope my top choices will read it and assess if they’re the right choice for me.”

She also believes that colleges and universities should remain test-optional because the scores do not show the whole picture of a student.