‘Adulting’ Harder Than Imaged for Some Gen Z

The biggest challenge for Gen Z and Millennials revolve around cars with 63% of respondents not knowing how to change the oil in a car and 48% not knowing how to change a tire.

03.24.23
‘Adulting’ Harder Than Imaged for Some Gen Z (Jimmy Nilsson Masth via Unsplash)

ChicagoMore than half of Gen Z and Millennials burn out by the time they reach adulthood.

The news comes from a survey conducted by insuranks, which took responses from 1,000 Gen Z and Millennials, who said they “don’t know how to complete common adulting tasks on their own.” About 57% of both generations say they don’t feel like they have adulting figured out while 63% say they didn’t feel prepared for the responsibility of being an adult, according to KXAN News. 

The biggest challenge for both generations revolve around cars with 63% of respondents not knowing how to change the oil in a car and 48% not knowing how to change a tire. 

They also don’t feel financially independent. More than 22% reported that their parents have helped them with rent or mortgage in the past year, and 34% admit their parents gave them money to help them pay for something in the past year. 

The survey results also reflect a pessimism they have about their financial future. Almost 50% of both generations say they think they will feel most like an adult when they buy a house, but 49% do not think they will ever be able to afford one.