Do You Know About These Anti-Women Laws?

08.26.22
Do You Know About These Anti-Women Laws? (Ben Hasty/MediaNews Group/Reading Eagle via Getty Images)

Atlanta, GAFriday marks 102 years since the 19th amendment was ratified, allowing women the opportunity to vote. Roe vs. Wade was overturned and these two factors have me wondering: Are there any anti-women laws that I am just unaware of?

From women not being able to skydive on Sundays in Florida to not being able to wear pants, here are some odd and unjust laws that women around the world are still faced with: 

Pregnant women in Missouri and Arkansas are not allowed to get divorced. Women are allowed to file for a divorce but the divorce is not allowed to be finalized until after the birth of their child. 

The city of Carmel in California had an ordinance since the 1920s that states that women are technically not allowed to wear high heels unless they have a permit from city hall.

In Minnesota, rapists are allowed parental rights and as a result, sexual assault victims have the potential to have to co-parent with the individual that violated them.  

Oh and let’s not forget, women in Congress. Congress, the government institution that makes the laws that influence and affect our everyday lives, has anti-women laws for those that enter the House’s chambers. Women are not allowed to enter the House’s chamber while wearing sleeveless tops or dresses as their shoulders must be covered. 

This goes to show that many laws that still stand today are very archaic and sexist. As we continue to fight for women's justice, I think these laws are an example of how even laws that seem bizarre or “unimportant” can affect women’s laws overall. 

It struck me as I was researching these facts that many people are unaware of how laws are made and changed. Yes, we know about the branches of government  but what are the inner workings? To remind you let’s cue up "I’m Just a Bill" by Schoolhouse Rock. 

https://youtu.be/OgVKvqTItto

So how do we change these weird and outdated laws? Vote. Congressional elections take place every two years, vote wisely.