YR Media’s Best Climate Stories of 2023

Our top climate stories of 2023.

12.30.23
YR Media’s Best Climate Stories of 2023 (YR Media)

This year will likely be named the hottest year on record. As we look back on a tumultuous year, read and listen to some of our top climate pieces of 2023.

Deeply Rooted

A YR Media series on young community eco-leaders featured on Grist and Next City.

Deeply Rooted - Emerging Climate Changemakers to Know - Grist - Next City - CatchLight

Meet three young adults who are leading innovative environmental justice solutions in their communities in New Orleans, Chicago, and Oakland. These profiles were published in collaboration with YR Media, Grist and Next City. Grist is a nonprofit, independent media organization dedicated to telling stories of climate solutions and a just future. Next City is a news outlet with a nonprofit model that publishes solutions to the problems that oppress people in cities, inspiring social, economic and environmental change through journalism and events around the world. The photographs for the project were created through a collaboration between YR Media reporters and CatchLight Local, a new collaborative model for visual journalism that is advancing trust and representation in local media.

Read the series here.

NYC’s Air is Hard to Breathe

By Ilana Drake

Courtesy of Rebecca Merber

Gen Z from across the Northeast speak to the air quality in their area after the wildfires in Canada. And NYC Public Schools switched to remote learning as a result of the hazardous conditions.

Read the story here.

Inherited Season 3

Inherited is produced by YR Media and distributed by Critical Frequency, an award-winning women-run podcast network founded by journalists.

Inherited features sound-rich stories from a generation of young people facing down the largest threat to life on earth and humanity’s collective future. Intentionally reported and produced, our show strives to enrich and humanize stories told about facing the climate crisis, while providing tangible, well-paid opportunities for a community of new voices to tell them.

Season 3 explores the intersection of climate change and social inequity through a series of stories told from the perspective of young people from across the globe.

Listen to the season here.